Many ladies with natural hair and relaxed hair make excuses as to why they do not workout. The main excuse is their hair! If you find yourself not knowing what to do with your hair when you go to the gym, or head to the park to go for a walk or run, you should check this out:
- Try wearing a braided ponytail. For me this is the perfect hairstyle when I go to the gym because when I’m done working out, all I have to do is press my edges and unbraid my hair. You can even add a baseball cap to hide your edges while you work out until you get home. If you ever see me at the gym, this is how I typically wear my hair.
- Try wearing a bun. A bun tucked away at the back or top of your hair is perfect. Again, you may have to press your edges once you’re done with your workout, but your hair will still be straight and even have a slight body wave to it.
- If your hair is pressed silky straight, and you want to maintain your hair without sweating too much, avoid cardio. You can still achieve optimal weight loss results just lifting weights. Don’t worry about getting too bulky. You would have to eat a ton of protein, and workout three times a day to begin looking like a bodybuilder! Lift light, and do 3 sets of 20 – 30 reps.
- Sew in weaves and braided extensions work great. I do not recommend working out in a wig. I tend to do incline bench presses, and crunches on the ball, etc…I’d hate for it to slip off at the gym. You can also do a twist out, or my favorite; a flexi-rod set. Those curls hold great while doing cardio.
- Whatever you do, do not wrap your hair while working out. When you sweat, you sweat from the scalp. Wrapping your hair will allow your sweat to saturate all of your hair instead of just the roots! Always remember this basic concept. Oil and water don’t mix! Keep the roots of your hair oiled with an oil based oil such as castor oil, and you will preserve your pressed roots.
So now you have no excuses. Go to the gym, and get your workout on! For all the single ladies, ready to put themselves in a position to be found by that special guy; FYI: Men love women who care about their bodies, and men love real hair! You may think, “OMG, my hair looks a mess”, but that ain’t what he thinking! If you’re headed to the park, go early in the morning during the summer months. I am all about making excuses for your goal, and never against it.
(Excuse against your goal): “I want to lose weight, but I can’t workout because I sweat profusely, and it will make my hair blow up into an afro.”
(Excuse for your goal): “I am about to get a sew-in weave because I’m about to start going to the gym to workout”.
(Excuse for your goal): “I am only getting my hair pressed on special occasions until I reach my weight loss goals”.